Monday, September 1, 2008

September 2008 Goals

With workshop to keep me motivated on short stories I’m not going to set any goals this month for working on short stories. I’m much more interested in working on the first draft of the new novel while I still have time. Soon, I’ll have more work to do on my thesis and won’t have as much time to work on the new novel. Plus, I feel like writing is really only worthwhile if you’re writing what you enjoy. Right now, I really want to write this novel. I know I need to work on short stories if I want to build up that cover/query letter, but really, there’s no point in writing at all if I’m not doing it for fun.

That said, I’m still setting a very low goal this month for the new novel, just 15,000 words (the equivalent of 500 words a day). I’m teaching a new class that I’ve never taught before and Permafrost will be coming back into session, too, so I’ll be reading for two literary journals, again. Also, of course, there’ll be reading to do for the lit course I’m taking. I’m not bitching, every single one of my responsibilities is something I’ll enjoy, but I won’t push myself any harder than I feel comfortable with on the new novel. I want this to stay fun and not begin to feel like an obligation.

As always, I’ll also try to send out 10 submissions by the end of the month.

September Goals:

  1. 15,000 words on the new novel
  2. 10 submissions

No comments: