Saturday, May 1, 2010

End of April; May 2010 Goals

I met all of my goals for the month of April, although in all fairness, my goals were pretty easy to reach. I finished my children’s book, and I feel very good about this current draft, which I realize is always how we feel when we finish a new draft of something we’ve spent a lot of time on. I’ve also been working on the second draft of a new novel and some new stories, too.

I’ve decided that I’ve been using revision as something of a crutch lately. I think revision is extremely important, and I believe that many new writers don’t take revision seriously enough, but I do think there’s a point where you have to accept that a piece is finished and move onto something new. For some reason I came down with a mean case of writer’s block, and I was using revision as a way to avoid facing the blank page. So I made up my mind to put this to an end: I began forcing myself to work on something new every time I sat down to write.

It has been largely effective, although I am considering taking more serious actions in the near future, just to make sure I’ve officially beaten that block into submission. I’m toying with ideas for a strict writing regiment, a sort of writerly boot camp, if you will. Once I decide exactly what I’m going to do I’ll post it to my Process Blog, to keep myself honest, if for no other reason. In the meantime, it’s business as usual at my place. I’m very, very, very busy with my classes right now, so my goals for the month of May will remain . . . well, let’s say realistic.

May Goals:

  1. Continue working on new novel
  2. Submit to 10 journals
  3. Query 5 agents

No comments: